Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Memorabilia...Sort Of


This Link action figure was one of my favorite presents to date--my little brother got it for me for Christmas, one of those rare gifts that you didn't even know that you wanted, though someone else did. I was very fond of this toy, maybe because it's something I would have loved to have as a kid for playing purposes, or maybe it's because this is one of the few video games that I enjoyed enough to play through to the end (albeit with the help of walkthroughs).

It met its demise last year due to my dog's teeth, which didn't discriminate against my treasures (including a first edition of a hard-to-find paperback version of Zilpha Keatley Snyder's Below the Root). Even though it's just a thing, I found myself missing it. On Sunday, I took matters into my own hands and Bought It Now via Ebay. I had mixed feelings about buying it again for myself; part of the charm of the original was that it really seemed like a gift selected especially for me.

When I got to work and picked up the mail this morning, I was delighted to see that my package had already made its journey into my ownership. I admit that once I opened up the box and the toy was in my hands, I felt no less excited (perhaps partly due to the rare cup of coffee I indulged in this morning) than I did the first time I opened up a package and was greeted by the plastic versions Link and Epona.

No comments: