Holy moly! I have an interview on Monday for a summer volunteer position at the Como Zoo. As some of you know, I volunteer there every other weekend cleaning the feeder mouse cages, which I've been doing for a year and a half. Sounds not too exciting, but I love it. Mice are more interesting than you might think. Anyhow, this position is for the summer only, and it's in the aquatics (think: seals and penguins and polar bears, not just fish!), and it's more time-intensive than what I do now. It would be every Sunday from 8:30-2:30. And it must be sort of a big deal and that's why they're having interviews. Like I said, holy moly. It has to do with the Sparky (seal) show, mostly, but experience has taught me that volunteering gets you into cool places there. Here's a list of the duties for interested parties:
• Weigh designated diet items into assigned containers.
• Make record of weights where stipulated and refer to chart for quantities.
• Disinfect and wash counter, scale, and all emptied containers.
• Pick up litter and trash in and around the stage and pool area.
• Hose down stage.
• Remove litter and dirt from pool using pool net and vacuum.
• Field questions from the public about the Sparky Show.
• Activate and monitor the audio system prior to, during, and after Sparky show.
Wish me luck!