Thursday, April 10, 2008

Birthday Adventure

It would be remiss of me not to include a blog about the adventure had on my birthday! Part of the motivation for this particular outing was to share with Mikey our favorite things about living in this metropolitan area. Since I am always quick to point out with pride my light rail stop, and to talk about the excellent people-watching to be had on the light rail, it makes sense that we would use it as our mode of transportation for heading downtown. We were not the only ones who had that idea, however—so did hundreds of people attending the Twins game. I suppose one cannot truly experience the light rail until one has been packed like a sardine, although I’m not sure how good sardines would be at standing, let alone hanging onto a handrail so as not to be jostled too much.

Our first stop in downtown was aimed at completing the thrilling task of renewing my driver’s license. It was pretty cool to do it in one of the downtown government buildings, and again, another excellent people-watching opportunity. After that, we wandered around the skyway until we stopped off at the new library to get me a library card (happy birthday, indeed!). It was at this juncture that I thought it would be kind of fun to figure out a bus to get us to Dinkytown for lunch. The bus ride to Dinkytown and back was enough to prove that city buses (although not necessarily their suburban counterparts) make for excellent and varied people-watching, especially in the middle of the day.

After eating at Annie’s (a meal that included my reason for loving the restaurant: a Reese’s cup milkshake), we walked down the street and prepared to wait for our bus. Before we got to our prescribed location, we rerouted ourselves into a tattoo shop, where I procured a free t-shirt (yay for birthdays!) and enthusiasm from the tattoo artist about my idea for a new inking. Although I was tempted, we all left needle-free but full of promises for the future.

The night was capped off with a visit to Doolittle’s, where my favorite buffalo wings and a free dessert waited, along with Mikey, Chester and my Metro-area dwelling immediate family. We were pretty wiped out from our adventure, but it was a very pleasant evening to cap off a fun day.

No comments: