Friday, April 13, 2007

R.I.P. Kurt Vonnegut

I know you were 84 and enjoyed a long and eventful (and what I gather from what little I know about you, at least amusing) life. But that didn't stop me from tearing up a little when I heard the radio talking about you post-mortem (although this is not surprising considering the weakness in my heart for clever, sweet old men, even though I know that's not always what you were, and not even the best thing about you). I know I've only read one of your books, but I was taken with the personality (your tendency towards humor, kindness and best of all, wisdom) that showed through in your writing, and you're someone I sure would have liked to know: one of the good ones, and you will be missed.

I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different. ~ Kurt Vonnegut

1 comment:

John Nelson said...

I didn't read much of the later stuff, but at one time KV was one of my favorite writers, and I gobbled up the books one after another.

Long live Kurt Vonnegut! Now we need a new one.